Monday, April 20, 2009

Testing Completed!

On Saturday a group completed their high rank test. The test took the better part of three hours and was pretty comprehensive. I had five students testing for various ranks and fortunately all five made it and were promoted!

I was especially glad to hear each of them read their papers. As a matter of fact I think all five papers were fabulous and from the heart. I left inspired and motivated; I think they left feeling the same...but a little more tired than me!

Some days I wrestle with testing. Since our tests are really hard testing time is unfortunately a time when some students decide to quit. They know that there is a tremendous amount of preparation and training that will have to go into passing one of these tests and some, when they balance the work, with the rest of their lives choose to give up practice instead of taking the test.

In my early days as a teacher I used to worry more about this. I used to think: "If they give up on Martial Arts then they won't be able to get the benefits of practice." In those days the temptation to make the tests easier and easier were strong. But through it all I've noticed something very important. I noticed that no matter how easy you make a test, the student who is not motivated to do the work will work even less!

So today I look at my role differently. I look at my job as a leader, an inspiration, as a facilitator, and realize that I never an responsible for the student "getting the benefits of practice". My job is always to create the right environment, and be the one who encourages the student to aspire to higher levels.

If I'm ever tempted to make a test easier because a student or two quits I will remember the look on the faces of those who passed Saturday. The smiles, the pride, and even a few tears of gratitude will be what I remember. To have a few students who really care, who really want to be good, to me it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment