Friday, March 20, 2009

Thoughts about freedom in martial arts study

In many dojo's the student teacher relationship is based on fear. Teachers are afraid of loseing students to other instructors, and students are try to force there teachers to give them what they want at the time. (Sensei; can we sparr more? Sensei can we start doing weapons now? etc. etc.)

If a teacher doesn't do what the student wants the student feels the need to criticise; and if the student doesn't do what the teacher wants the students "loyalty" is called into question. It's this basic lack of freedom that causes ugly break ups in relationships and organizations; martial arts or otherwise.

The saddest part about this model is that opportunities to learn are lost by both student and teacher out of fear. Students aren't allowed to even look at other teachers or dojo's; if they do their loyalty is called into question. Naturally teachers rarely look to increase their knowledge and branch out into other arts because it would set the stage for there students to do the same. It also might make the teacher look bad because the instructor is afraid of being seen as a "lower rank" in a new art.

What I love most about the way I teach today is I don't view the students as “my” students. The students I'm lucky enough to teach are students of the “Martial Arts”. My job is just to be a facilitator and share what I know and point them in the right direction. I no longer view myself as a teacher of a "style" but as the sharer of the cumulation of arts I've studied and am continuing to learn.

The absolute best part of my life as a teacher today is that it not only frees the student, but it also frees me. I can study a different style; I can be a “begnner” in some other art. I can expand my knowledge and progress the way I want, and can share what I know with students at a time and place I see fit. If students likes what I do then they stay, if they don't then they go. Either way I'm happy with it and so are they. I have found that making the way I teach and run my dojo match what makes me happy is a full time job. I try not to give one second to trying to make other people happy; it diverts my energy too much.

The lesson learned is you can never really give yourself freedom until first you give it away to others. The more freedom you give the more you get; and that's the way I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment